The Chartered Surveyors Training Trust (CSTT) has been creating opportunities for young people to start a career in surveying for over 25 years. We were established in 1984 by the Surveyors' Livery Company, the Worshipful Company of Chartered Surveyors and became an independent charity in 1987 although we retain very close links with our founder.
We aim to provide life changing opportunities for young people aged between 16 and 24 to become qualified surveyors regardless of their academic, social or financial circumstances. We do this by:
- Supporting young people from deprived areas or who face personal disadvantage to gain employment as surveyors
- Providing fully funded and supported apprenticeship programmes leading to Associate membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Providing supported progression opportunities to qualification as a chartered surveyor
Young people who are successful in gaining an apprenticeship with the Trust receive:
- Needs assessment
- Arrangements for external support to prepare for work and study if needed
- Induction training/introduction to work
- Funding to cover fees
- Mentor support
- Online Trust community and networking support
- Salaried employment
- An employer based supervisor
- A personal assessor
- Counselling and pastoral support
Since its establishment the Trust has worked primarily in London the South East of England. We are now expanding to provide support in other deprived areas of the United Kingdom on a phased basis.
The organisation is managed by a board of Directors, all of whom are senior figures within the construction and property industries. The day to day running is overseen by the Trust's Chief Executive with support from staff members.
Our programmes are funded by the Skills Funding Agency (formerly called the Learning & Skills Council), the Trust's employer partnerships, donations and grants. We also work with a range of key industry stakeholders.
- Asset Skills (Sector Skills Council for Property)
- ABBE (Awarding Body for the Built Environment)
- CITB (Construction Industry Training Board)
- RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
- Worshipful Company of Surveyors